Thursday, October 27, 2011

Blah blah, I eat healthy... ooh doughnuts!

One of my favorite things about fall, aside from the validation of wearing fuzzy socks, is the food.  I love fall flavors.  Cinnamon is one of my all time favorite spices and this season gives me an excuse to use gratuitous amounts of the stuff.

As you know, I was back home two weekends ago.  And as a result, I was able to make my annual Salinger's Orchard run and stock up.  I LOVE this place!  It's a local institution and it's probably good that I don't live closer.  I would spend far too much money there.  As it is, we bought apple butter, honey, two different types of mustard, about 16lbs of apples, cider doughnuts, apple cider, apple crumb pie, a few small pastries- all of which were freshly made or harvested.

They're baked goods are to die for.  Seriously.  I dream about they're apple crumb pie all year.  I'm actually really excited that I was able to buy one in October, because that means I get another one when I'm back in NY for Thanksgiving.  Oooooh yea.  The doughnuts are nothing to sneeze at either.  Right out of the fryer and covered in cinnamon sugar

George and I bought a bunch and devoured them in the parking lot with some fresh cider.  God I love fall.

I don't know if you noticed a few paragraphs up, but I bought about sixteen pounds of apples.  That is A LOT of apples.  I probably should have planned better, but I was excited and got carried away.  So I've spent my week baking.




The apple sauce was so easy to make, and a million times better than anything I've found in stores.  It's just apples, a little sugar, some cinnamon, lemon juice, and water.  Cook on high in a crockpot for about 3 hrs, and presto!  Applesauce.  No blending needed.

I now have more applesauce and apple crisp than I know what to do with.  Luckily I have hungry friends who are willing to take some off of my hands.  Let me know if you're one of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment