Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Boo gimpy Katie

You know, I'm not sure why so many people (and GP doctors actually) look down on chiropractic.  The science is sound, and it just makes sense.  If you have neck pain a GP will give you drugs to treat the pain.  A chiropractor will adjust your neck and potentially eliminate the cause, and consequently the pain.  Why wouldn't you just fix the issues straight from the beginning?

I've been debating going for awhile.  I know that gimpy leg affects how I walk, and I can only imagine that it's having an affect on my spine.  I kept putting it off though, since I wasn't having any pain.

Well.  Funny story. George and I were at a home show and the local chiropractors had a booth.  Turns out my shoulders and hip are out of line, and I don't carry my weight evenly.  According to Dr. Alyssa, anything more than a 3lb difference in distribution is potentially problematic.  I had a twenty pound difference.  That was enough to make me schedule an appointment.

I'm really glad I did.  We took X-rays, and let me just say, it isn't pretty.  Dr A keeps asking me if I'm sure I didn't have some sort of trauma that would throw my spine out of whack.  For the record, no, I did not.

The ironic part is that while my back/hips aren't perfect, it's my neck that is the main issue.

It's supposed to look something like this:



My Xray was somewhere between the two stages of disalignment below-


The black line is where the bones are supposed to be, red it where they actually are.
 Instead of a forward curve, my neck is mostly straight, with the bottom two vertebrae having a slightly backward curvature.  Not so awesome.  Apparently I'm "far too young to have a curvature like that".  But you know, I've always been advanced for my age.

So now I get to go get adjusted multiple times a week for the foreseeable future.  Kind of a time and money suck, but I guess it's better to start fixing it now while we still can, right?  It's better than starting 15 years from now when I'm even more messed up.

No comments:

Post a Comment