Thursday, November 17, 2011

Soup!

Why on Earth have I never made soup before?  It's easy, inexpensive, and oh so tasty.



The best part is, you don't really need a recipe.  I just threw a bunch of stuff in a pot that seemed to go together, and called it a day.  This actually made a lot of soup.  I plan on freezing half to eat later.  George thinks there's too much stuff and not enough broth, so you might want to consider more chicken broth.  I like the "stuff" though, so I left it the way it was.

Italian Tortellini Soup

3, 48oz boxes cans of low sodium chicken broth
1lb carrots, peeled and sliced 
8oz celery
about 10oz fresh spinach
2, 15oz cans of kidney beans, drained and rinsed
20oz tri-color cheese tortellini
salt, pepper, Italian seasoning
grated parmesan reggiano cheese

- Add the chicken broth, carrots, celery, and spinach to a large stockpot and cook until veggies are tender.
- Add beans and tortellini.
- Once tortellini is cooked, season with salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning to taste.

You can add the cheese (to taste) at this point, or you can add a heaping spoonful to each dish when served.  I like more cheese, so I tend to add more later on.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment